Once the Advanced Sidebar Menu plugin is installed and activated, you’ll find two blocks available.
- Advanced Sidebar – Pages
- Advanced Sidebar – Categories
Classic widgets are also available for areas such as page builders.
Adding a Menu Block to a Location
The first step in using this plugin is to add a menu to a location by inserting an Advanced Sidebar block:
- Open the block inserter.
- Search for “Advanced Sidebar.”
- Select either the “Advanced Sidebar – Pages” or “Advanced Sidebar – Categories” block.
- Insert the block into a location.
- Set the applicable block settings.
Blocks may be added to:
- Page/post content.
- Widget areas.
- Theme customizer.
- Site Editor.
- Really anywhere blocks are supports.
Advanced Sidebar – Pages
The Pages block uses the “Parent Page” option in the Page Attributes available when editing a page to generate a menu of pages.
To locate the “Parent Page” option:
- Edit any page on your site.
- Within the Settings sidebar select the “Page” tab.
- If the Settings sidebar is not showing, you may click the “Settings” icon in the Gutenberg toolbar.
- Under the “Page Attributes” section find “Parent Page.”
Once your pages are assigned to the related parents, the “Pages” menu will display on any pages which contain the block and have related pages.
The full documentation for the Pages block options may be found here.
Advanced Sidebar – Categories
The Categories block uses the “Parent Category” option available on the category edit screens to generate a menu of categories.
To locate the “Parent Category” option:
- Edit any category.
- Under the “Parent Category” label.
- Select a category.
Categories, unlike tags, can have a hierarchy. You might have a Jazz category, and under that have children categories for Bebop and Big Band. Totally optional.
Once your categories are assigned to related parents, the “Categories” menu will display on any categories which contain the block and have related categories.
The full documentation for the Categories block options may be found here.