To use this plugin you must first install the Go Live Update Urls plugin which may be downloaded for free:
Once you purchase the PRO version, you will receive a download link for the PRO plugin within the order email. You may also download the PRO plugin anytime by going to the My Account section of this site. Upload the PRO plugin using the standard WordPress plugin installer and activate both the PRO and free plugins.
Here are some step by step instructions.
Suggested Procedure For Switching A Site’s Domain
- Setup both old and new domains on the server to point to the site.
- Point your host file to the server so you may see the change before the rest of the world.
- You can skip this step if you prefer to point the new domain to the server prior to testing.
- If you DO NOT point the domain to the server prior to testing, the URL testing results will always show the site is not accessible or unable to verify whether or not the domain is accessible (which makes sense because the site is not accessible on the new domain if it is pointed elsewhere).
- Change the WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) in the WordPress General Settings.
- Run this plugin to change the domain in WordPress.
- Verify everything is working.
- Point to the new domain to the server to make the site live on the new domain (if not done already).
This feature is fully automatic. If you have changed the Site Address (URL) via your General Settings in the WordPress admin during the past 24 hours, the Old URL and New URL will automatically be filled out for you with the values of the last change. This will only work if the plugin was active at the time of changing the Site Address, otherwise no configuration is necessary.