Today I did an update for a client, http://domain1.com to https://domain2.com. I found that the last two groups of database tables failed to update and I figured I wanted to understand why. I think it is because in the 4th group is when the system updates the siteurl and homeurl variables in the options table. I think that these two spots should really be the last to get updated as much of the system relies on what is set there in order to function. It was almost like because those two got changed it was not able to continue on the path of modifying the last of the tables.
Now it wasn’t too difficult to log back in and run it a 2nd time but figured I would at least bring this bug to your attention.